In the video MissRepresentation, they talked about the typical stereotypes for women. "Women are weak" or "women are chatty" are some examples of the stereotypes shown in the video. I think that women often let these stereotypes define them, and as a result, we accept those stereotypes as a part of our identity. Even if these stereotypes might be a part of who women are , it doesn't mean that this is everything a women's identity is about. I think that there is a whole lot more than what people depict. Not only that, but the video also talked about stereotypes for guys. "If guys don't show masculinity then they are looked down on" or "men don't know how to express themselves" were the stereotypes presented in the video. I can't say for sure because I'm not a guy, but I think there is more to guys than what we see. I also think that the stereotypes for both guys and girls are just things that we want to see.

I agree with you 100%! The stereotypes about women being weak, and men being emotionally constipated are true, but are horrible. To add on, I thought the statistics about girls and women were very sad. They said that 53% of 13 year old girls are already unhappy with their bodies. This, to me, is absolutely horrific! 13 year old girls should not be feeling like this, and as a matter of fact no one should feel like that. The main reason for this is because of the media making standards on how people should look and act and we should stop feeling bad for not meeting the standards.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of you. The fact that these stereotypes change our view of ourselves and others is degrading. We change what we thought was considered "normal" and raise our standards so those who don't fit it are misfits or just plain weird to us. Like how women are meant to be weak. If a women has a more masculine side to her then we look down upon this, but that doesn't mean that we should. Same with men, when a man is considered to be feminine we look down upon him like he is considered weaker.
ReplyDelete